Tuesday, March 26, 2013

THE Beauty Blender Sponge Review

 photo copyrighted to Carla Gumin 2013
Beauty Blender Sponge

Since Easter's approaching, let me do a small review on my newest favorite tool in my kit, an egg. chos. This is the beauty blender sponge, a sponge and not a pink easter egg.

During my makeup classes in 2009, we were taught how to use brushes to apply makeup. So I was skeptical when I saw this for a few reason:
1. A Php1,000 sponge
2. Can have product build-up which is a no-no for a makeup artist.
3. Disposable after a few uses.

So for short, I never bought it and never intended to. Until the whole cream HD foundation broke in. I first tried using a brush to blend and apply the cream into skin, then it's just too streaky. Luckily a friend told me that they have "beauty blender" sponge in Suesh at a cheap price. The suesh one, I loved it but then after less than 10 uses, it started to have product build up at the center and never expanded the same way it used to. Feeling that hard, gooey center when washing it is so scary that I decided to cut the sponge in half and yep, there it is, the kadiri-to-death product build up. After buying 3 sponges from suesh, I decided to give in and  buy the original Beauty Blender.

The shape of the beauty blender sponge is not a packaging tactics, and is design to make foundation application a breeze. The bottom part is used to "dab" into large areas of the face (chin, cheeks, forehead) while the tip is used for hard to reach area such as corners of the nose and eye area.

To use this sponge, you have to soak it into a room-temperature water and wait for it to expand.
It looks so tiny, like a five peso coin, when dry but when damp, it expands double in size.


 details

It yields an airbrush finish foundation, no joke! Since using this my foundation application was cut in half and the skin looked like it was airbrush. Another thing I love about this is that it doesn't "eat" foundations when damp. (I was told to never use it dry)

The downside of using a sponge like this is that you have to clean i thoroughly and removing the stain is such a pain in the A. The best way, for me, to clean it is with a solid baby soap. I rub it against the soap, and then squeeze the hell out of the dirt. Usually it removes the stain, but there are still faint spots that  ate left. Also, mine bled like crazy (cotton candy colored water, it's pretty!) for the first two washes.

Beauty Blender Sponge when  damped, size comparison beside a five-peso-coin

But over-all, I love it. Despite having a ridiculous price for a sponge, it was well-worth it. I have used this for about 4-5 times only, I will update you guys when it finally disintegrate on me.

What I love about it?
- Ergonomically designed.
- Creates an airbrush finish
- Washable

What I hate?
- Hard to clean
- Expensive
- For sure, disposable.

Will I buy it again? Hell Yeah.

(You can buy it at different suppliers in multiply.com)

Love, Makeup Mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment